Sunday, June 7, 2009

Metal detecting season is over....

Metal detecting Season has come to a close. While the summer may seem like a good time to metal detect, it's not. When you dig a hole to find the object in the summer, the ground is so dry that when you try to put the sod back repair the ground, the grass there will die and leave a bare spot. If you metal detected in a field in the summer time, a week later you could go back and see every place you dug up by looking for the brown spots. In the Fall thru Spring the ground is wet and the sod patches you pull out will grow back readily when replaced.
Other than just the ground repair problems, it's HOT, the ground is HARD to dig, the MOSQUITOS are bad, and the SUN unbearable.
My short time detecting this Spring, having only gotten my metal detector March 6th,I have found a total of $28.33, multiple keys, 3 rings, two tokens, 1 soccer pin, and numerous other odd objects. I've really enjoyed this hobby for the past 3 months and look forward to the Fall and doing some more searching. Until then I'll have to write about my Bad Golf and other things I'm doing during the hot weather.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I learned something today. Which I like to learn something new each day. I did not know metal detecting had seasons, but it makes sense. You could go back to ballroom dancing where it is cool inside. Tom and I danced in the garage the other night to music from the 8 track. That's the only place we can find "A White Sports Coat and a Pink Carnation."
QMM

Bad Bob said...

Oh I've got that on CD "The Essential Marty Robbins". Love the song and always thought Marty Robbins had a great voice.

Brian said...

Hopefully I'll be able to join you in the fall when the season kicks back into gear.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Quilting knows no season.