Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend at the Zoo

Spent a couple of hours at the Zoo yesterday and today.  Both days I took a Ball Python to the Herpaquarium to show and tell with the people and let them get up close and personal with a real snake.  After I put the snake away today I took the Rhino horn up to the Rhino exhibit and talked to the people who came by and let them touch a 'real' Rhino horn.  I enjoyed myself and I think I enhanced the Zoo visit for a lot of people.
I found out yesterday that the Ball Python I was handling a couple of weeks ago, 'Regina", that wasn't acting right, died.  She had a respiratory problem and didn't survive.  This is why we need to let the keepers know if an animal  we have out isn't acting right or seems to be acting different than normal.  We have a lot of animals we use for educational purposes and they are hard to come by, so I hate losing any of them.  The Ball Python's we have are very docile and easy to work with.  When you get them out they're calm, easy to handle.  Unlike several of the other snakes, the Andean Milk Snake, The Prairie King snake.  Sometimes these are a handful.  The Andean Milk snake, "Milkshake", really moves when you get him out and holding onto him is like climbing a rope, hand over hand.  But they settle down after a couple of minutes and are easy to handle, too. 
Another concert night tonight.  Mary Lynn and I will be going to Willow Park for the 7pm Sunday Night Concert tonight.  The Band is 'Delicious Blues Stew', Cajun Blues.  If I remember them right from last year they were a pretty good Dance Music Band.  I can't believe the Summer Concert Season is almost over.  Labor Day Weekend will be the last Concert for the Season.  If you haven't been to any this year, you only have a couple of weeks left.  Tonight should be one of the best weather nights we've had all year.  See You There!

No comments: