Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Record setting performance on the Golf Course

Well, a record for me.  I played golf for the first time in 5 weeks yesterday.  I played in a Scramble to raise money for the re-election of State Rep. Larry Clark, an old friend of mine from the St. Benedict, Flaget HS days.  I played on a Scramble team with a couple of other Flaget friends, Bobby Brower and Paul Lyons.  Where the record setting comes in, we also had 3 other people on our team for a total of 6 people on our scramble team!
I'm sorry to say, they didn't give us enough people!  It was a fun day and I really enjoyed the company of the people I played with.  But we weren't very good.  We didn't have a long hitter on our team, which you desperately need in a Scramble, and we didn't have that 'A' player you can depend on hitting a good shot.  So many times we were inside 100 yards to the green and were lucky to get a ball within 40 feet of the hole.  I thought I hit some nice drives today, but being off 5 weeks, my fairway game suffered. 
This was a pretty good size tournament, lots of teams.  And, in this type tournament where you bring your own team, I never expect my team to win.  We finished 5 under par, the winning team was 16 under.  And our 5 under was very 'suspect'.  Actually, I would never have been a part of the way we played if I thought we were in any way in contention to win.  Some of the things we did were 'slightly' against the rules.  But, when you're playing with 5 other guys, drinking beer, and this is the way they want to do it, you just go along.  I won't go into some of the things we did, but had it resulted in any prizes, I would have had to decline them.
We played at Woodhaven CC, which I hadn't played in almost 25 years.  I remember not being very impressed with the course in those days, but I have to say that the course has made major improvements since then and I was very impressed with the condition and layout. 
I had a good time, even got to listen to a speech from Gov. Steve Beshear at the awards dinner.

No comments: