Sunday, August 5, 2012

Doing my job at the Zoo......

A Docent's job at the Zoo is mainly to teach.  To educate the public about the animals we live with on this planet.  We meet and greet and talk to the public.  We have with us a 'biofact', usually a piece of animal hide or fur, piece of bone, feathers, etc.  Sometimes a live animal,such as a snake, lizard, bird, turtle, etc.  I like having live animals because it piques the interest of people, allowing you to talk to them about the animal without feeling like you are imposing on their time.  A live animal really gets them interested.  The Ball Python, pictured here, is one of my favorite animals to handle.  They are very docile, easy to handle without fear of them jumping out of your hands, and most of all, very impressive.
But, one of the little jobs that the Docent's have that is very important, is to let the keepers know if the animal is not acting like himself, or doing something that is not normal to that animal.
Yesterday, while at the Zoo for the Louisville Water Company's sponsored day of the Wonders of Water, I was handling 'Regina', one of the 5 Ball Pythons the MetaZoo has on hand for educational purposes.  I had Regina around my left arm and her head was above my elbow, and all of a sudden she struck at my neck!  I don't know if she struck at my shirt collar or me, but she didn't bite me, but it was a definite, unmistakable strike!  This worried me a little, so I kept a close eye on her.   She just didn't seem right, and opened her mouth several times, which is also unusual.  So, I put her back into her carrying case, being a little afraid to handle her around people.  When I turned her back in to the Keeper, I mentioned this to her, how she struck at me and seemed a little out of sorts.  Which, is very unusual for Regina, who has always been one of the easiest to handle.
Well, when I went to the Zoo today to work the same station, I found out they had the Veteranarian look her over and found out she was very sick.  She is now in the Herp Hospital.  I hate that she is sick, but am glad there was a reason for her actions.
So, the Docent's job is not just to handle animals, but to notify the Keepers if there is any strange behavior.  So, I hope my actions lead to a quick recovery of Regina.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I'm proud of the work my dad does at the zoo!

Anonymous said...

Good job, Pop. We wish Regina a very speedy recovery. We are also glad she didn't bite.

Brian