Friday, August 10, 2012

Playing Baseball

I grew up playing baseball.  I played baseball in the streets, corner lots, backyards.  Everywhere we could play.  We would always choose up sides and play.  I didn't play any 'Organized' ball until the Summer of 1958.  That was when I played on the St. Matthias 6th Grade Baseball Team!  I grew up playing with kids who were good players and never thought much of it.  We were all good, but I don't think I realized how good we were until later in life.  Our 6th Grade team won the City Championship that year.  And, we won it pretty easily.  I don't think we ever had any real close games. 
My first year of competitive ball and we won the City Championship!  Wow!  But then, even more amazing, right after the Championship game they announced the Most Valuable Player for the Parochial School 6th grade league, and it was me!   I didn't even know they had a Most Valuable Player, and if I'd known and thought about it, I wouldn't have even dreamed it would be me!  I still have the bat Hillerich and Bradsby awarded me, with my name on it.

The following summer I was recruited to play on the Marydale Clubs 13 year old team.  So I played on St. Matthias 7th-8th grade team and Marydale.  Our St Matthias team was dominated by 7th graders like myself, with only 2 8th graders that started.  We were pretty good, but didn't challenge for the title.  However, our 13 year old Marydale team dominated the Parks League, and we won the City Championship.  And, guess who was selected to be the Most Valuable Player?  Right, ME!  So, it was no fluke, I was a pretty good ballplayer at that time.  I was awarded another bat, but I have no idea now what happened to it. 
The following year I played on 3 teams.  Our St. Matthias 8th grade team, Marydale 14 year old team, and Marydale 15 year old team.  That year we won the Championship at St. Matthias, and the 14 year old Parks League with Marydale.  When I was asked to play with the 15 year old team, I was nervous.  Playing with older kids.  I remember the first game, I went 4 for 4 at the plate and played a pretty good left field.  After that game, I felt a lot more comfortable.
After that year I played with Flaget High School for 4 years, and continued to play with the Marydale Club on up through the 18 year old division.  I also played with St. Matthias Intermediate Team every year until I was out of High School.  Our Marydale team was very good, with players from Flaget and Manual HS making up most of the players.  We continued to win the City Championship in or division every year.  As we got older though, the competition got a lot stiffer.
I always hit the ball well, but I think my strength was in my defense.  I never had a strong arm for an outfielder, but I threw accurately.  I always got a good jump on the ball, and I think a lot of catches I made easily would not have been gotten to by many other fielders.  I really don't think I'm bragging, but just stating a fact.  I always had decent speed, and could get a good jump on the base paths, also.
Of course, out of High School and into the Navy, and not touching a ball for 4 years kinda takes a lot out of your game.  Coming back into Civilian life we played Softball.  What a different game!  I played Softball for quite a few yeas, off and on, and played decent.  But then the body starts to decline, Arthritis  set in and my bending over was difficult, so the great ball playing career was over. 
But I always enjoyed playing baseball, and I still love watching the game.  I was very lucky to have good coaches at Marydale, and through the intermediate teams at St. Matthias from 15 to 18 years old. 
I may have rambled a lot on this blog, but I just wanted to touch on the fact that I grew up playing baseball.  I love the game and I know the game.  The game is a whole lot more interesting to watch if you know why things on the field happen the way they do.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn said...

Hey, if no one else is bragging on you, don't be shy about bragging on yourself!! And I guess if you weren't playing baseball, you were playing cards. You had it hard.