Sunday, May 22, 2011

Metal Detecting in the North Country

While on the trip to Columbus for Beth's wedding, I got up there early enough Friday to Metal Detect Jit and Julie's yard.  I was really hoping to find some old coins, possibly silver, because their home is in an old neighborhood.  As in any yard detecting, I found several aluminum clippings, from gutters, siding, etc.  Some of these things were recognizable, some weren't.  A blob of solder or lead, a can tab, a copper strap, probably to hold a downspout in place.  I was disappointed in not finding any silver coins.  My findings are pictured below.

I found a total of 32 cents.  I was sure Ohio people would lose more money than that over the years.  Three interesting finds.  I found 2 Wheat Pennies, a 1952 and a 1917s.  And this toy airplane wing.  It says ARMY on the wing.  I would think it was pre-WWII since the Air Force was established after that time and all pre-WWII planes were Army Air Corps.  The U. S. Air Force was established September 18, 1947.
The Treasure Hunt was fun.  I wish I could find more 'Virgin' yards to detect.



I thought I'd put a picture of the back of the pennies.  Some of my young readers may not know why I say "Wheat Pennies".  In 1959 they changed the back of the penny to the Lincoln Memorial.  Before that, beginning in 1909, they had a shock of wheat on each side of the back.









Also, I thought I'd add a better close up of the front of the pennies so that the dates were a little more readable.

No comments: