Monday, May 16, 2011

It looks like it might be getting close to Fishing Season

I happened to see a picture of one of my Granddaughters learning how to cast a fishing pole....and she looked like she was getting the hang of it.  I can't see it being very long before we may have to go fishing.  So, I started getting out all the fishing gear I have stored in the basement. Oh yeah, besides all that outher stuff I've got a few fishing poles and a tackle box.  I think I have a lot of that gear to Mark a few years ago.  Like a bait box, minnow bucket, etc.  So I had to take inventory of what I have.






I have a few fishing poles.  I think they are in very good shape, just needing to be re-strung.  The line on the reels are at least 25 years old.  I think taking the reels apart, putting new line on, and lubricating the moving parts, things should be OK.  I haven't done any fishing for 25 years and therefore haven't worked on any fishing equipment in that long.   I used to use Vaseline inside the reels to help moving parts.  Is that advisable?  I'm sure they've made advancements in the type line used now.  So I tossed the spools of old line I had in the tackle box.







 
  Also, I had this reel.  I don't remember ever using it and, in looking at it, couldn't figure out how it works.  How do you cast it?  It looks like a nice reel and the pole is nice.  I think I need Mark to help me get these things working properly.  We definitely won't need to buy any new rods or reels, just fix up the ones we have available.

All you fisherman out there who read this blog can give me a little advice on what type line, lubrication and cleaning of reels, and any other maintenance advice on getting these old poles ready to go.


1 comment:

Mark said...

Wow, should I invite you if we (or just I?) plan to go?

I have restrung one of my poles, and need to do the same to others.

That reel you have pictured is a spinning reel; that's the kind I usually use. The kind that you are used to is called "spincasting." I also have one baitcasting rod, which I've never used, and which I've heard takes a little practice to learn how to cast without mishap. I think that maybe you all found it at a yardsale for me a long time ago.

The make special reel oils. Vaseline is probably too "sludgy" and hardens too much. I think graphite might work too, but I doubt it's the preferred substance.

I'd be happy to help, though I'm far, far from and expert myself.