Saturday, May 14, 2011

Coke Scramble.......The Tradition Continues

We played in the Coke Scramble today.  I like the tournament because I get to play golf with my 3 sons, it's fun, and they have nice door prizes.  However, today Kevin couldn't make it so Jeff Sparks stood in for him and I was glad to have him.  I did get to play with Mark and Brian.  How did we do you ask?  PeeeeYoooooo! 

Actually, we played pretty decent.  I thought Brian played very good.  We were just STUPID!  In this scramble each person is allowed one throw, which doesn't count as a stroke.  So, if you're smart, you take one of those 30 foot birdie putts you left about a foot from the hole and just drop it in for a birdie!  That was our plan.  We started on #17, which was a very long par 5.  We were also allowed one skirt each, which means that at any time during the round you may hit from the ladies tee.  So, on our first hole, the longest par 5 and the hole with the largest advantage from the ladies tee, we had Brian use his skirt.  Good move so far.  He hit a nice drive.  On our nexf shot we were just off the left side of the green, in two, with about a 60 foot chip to the hole.  We got one about 7 feet from the hole.  Just far enough away that you couldn't reach and drop it in the hole....you had to roll it a little.  Well, Brian rolled it, using up his throw.  The ball rolled just off the right lip....miss.  Jeff used his....the same thing.  I used my throw, by gosh we're gonna Eagle this hole or else.  I missed.  Mark rolled his ball......missed!  I stepped up and putted it in the hole for a Birdie.  First hole, Brian has used his skirt and we've all used our throws!  When you have 4 throws, that should be an automatic 4 birdies.  We threw them away! One hole played and we've already thrown away any chance of winning this thing!  How stupid can we be!
We finished 4 under.  Wagner Team 7 under.  With 4 birdies thrown away, we should have been 8 under.  On hole #6, we had to play it from tee to cup with just a 7 iron.  We were on in 3 and 3 putted from 15 feet for a double bogey.  Now, I can see2 putting from there with a 7 iron, but not 3 putting. That's another stroke thrown away.  So, we should have easily been 9 under.  The winning team was 12 under.  So, we could have been, should have been, 9 under.  Making a few putts around the course we could have won this thing! Not at all out of the question.  But, you can't fix stupid.
Door prizes.  The Wagner and Tabler teams stood there a long time watching all the nice prizes selected before any of our numbers were called.  We ended up with the normal late in the round door prizes.....Coffee Travel Mugs, Hats, sleeve of balls, bucket of 5 beers.  They had a 32" TV, Gas Grill, 2 counter top Coca-Cola Glass front coolers, 2 nice drivers, a putter, golf bag, and a few other very nice prizes.  But, they were long gone by the time our numbers were called.  We still got nice 'late in the round' prizes and I'm satisfied.
We played at Penn Run GC this year instead of Sun Valley GC.  Sun Valley went to Pepsi....therefore no Coke business!  I don't like Penn Run.  The greens were very rough, bumby, shaggy, and hard to figure.  Slow rolling putts would bounce every which way.  I didn't like the tee placements.  They had blue, white, and red tees.  Each tee was usually 5-10 yards from each other.  I hate that.  If that's all the difference you're going to make them, just have one tee!  Tee's should be adjusted for the difference in handicaps and distance you can hit the ball.  If you have a 400 yard par 4 and the blue tee is 400 yards and the white tee is 395 yards......why have two tees?  What was the purpose?  Then, the red tee 390 yards?  Why?  To me, some courses just don't understand what the purpose is of having different tees. 
It was a fun day and I always enjoy this tournament.  I look forward to next year!  We'll use our throws a little smarter!

1 comment:

Mark said...

I really enjoyed it too, Dad; thanks!

And if I had practiced like I should have, I bet we could have taken yet another stroke off! Ten under!