Monday, October 17, 2011

Exploring the Swamp

For several years now as I drive down River Road I've passed a little pull off parking lot with the sign that says "Caperton Swamp".  I've been wanting to stop there and walk back to see what it was like.  I asked Mary Lynn if she'd like to go with me sometime.  She declined.  So, today I visited the place.





This is one City Park I'd never been in.  There is a well defined trail that leads away from the parking lot.  The trail goes back about 200-300 yards to a small pond.











I'm sure there's much more water in this during a wet season, and I could tell the water was pretty low.  It also had a lot of greenery on top of it. 
The path loops around this pond.









This is a better view of the pond.  I walked around the pond and it's very close to I-71, you can hear a lot of car traffic, and at one point you can see Blankenbaker Lane through a gate.







The sign as you start back says it's a .9 mile loop, and that seemed about right to me.  While walking the trail I came across a man and a woman walking their dog.  That was the only people I saw back there.  I did pick a pretty good size stick to carry with me.  I don't like being back in the 'wilderness' without some protection.
OK, now I know what's back there!


1 comment:

Judith Bowman said...

Didn't even know that was there!