Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hot day, low humidity, low score.

I played Shawnee GC today in my usual Thursday golf.  Normally we play Iroquois on Thursday, but this week it was reversed.  I shot another good round....that's two in a row.  I shot a 38 - 40 = 78.  I thought I might be low man today, but Rowland came in with an 88....and he carries a 27 handicap, which nets him a 61!  My 14 handicap netted me a 64.  I also found out my score on Tuesday didn't win me any money either.  Disappointment!
It wasn't bad walking the 18 today with the low humidity.  The only problem was that the water fountain on the 16th tee was flowing water that was as brown as the river.  Didn't think I wanted to drink that.  And, because I didn't know it until I looked at it, and was filling my bottle with it, what little water I had left in my bottle was contaminated.  So I had to throw that out.  Finishing the last 3 holes with no water when I was already thirsty.
I took a couple of pictures on the course today.  I wanted to show how it's recovering from the flood.  The grass has a lot of growing to do in certain areas to recover from all the mud.  The hot weather we've had lately has really hardened the ground, and the thin fairways and hard ground helped you get some roll on your drives.

This is hole #3.  It's an elevated tee box and you can see the fairway.  The flood waters left behind a coating of mud a couple of inches thick in the areas of the deepest water.  It will take a while and some rain to get the grass to grow through that mud coating. They've gone over those areas with a machine to break up the dirt and put down some grass seed.
In this picture are my usual Thursday team playing partners.  Buddy Brown hitting the ball, Norman McNally in red shirt and J. R. Harris.








This is the #5 green.  It's pretty high so the water didn't get on this green.  Notice how plush the grass is around the green and on the green.













This is the same shot but I backed down the hill a little ways.  Notice how bare the ground is that was under water?  All the places that were under water either had a layer of mud, which is now dried, or the grass is very thin and needs to thicken up.




I almost had a double bogey free round.  I only had one double and it was on hole #14.  A very bad fairway shot after a nice drive cost me that.  And I only had one birdie.  That was on hole #6.

No comments: