Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Stormy Day for Tuesday Golf

It's getting hard to do anything these days without dodging rain showers.  Today's golf at Shawnee GC had about a 20 minute rain delay.  A storm came through when we were getting ready to tee off on hole #14 so we took refuge in a storm shelter.  It didn't last very long, but half the people in our league quit and went in to the clubhouse.  So, after we came in on 18 we were informed that our back nine didn't count.  They would only count the holes that everybody finished.  Seems to me they should have forfeited.

                                                              
This is the picture I took today of the same view I posted a couple of weeks ago.  I'll post the picture again below so that you can compare the two and see how much the course has recovered.  Not a whole lot, but it's making some progress.  A lot of the Bermuda Grass is starting to fill in because of all the hot weather, so there's more grass in the fairways you can find to sit your ball on.


This is the old picture.  You can tell the grass has grown in some, but still has a long way to go.
But, back to today's round.  It didn't take me long to blow my double bogey free round today.  I doubled the 2nd hole.  I've managed to stay pretty consistant, though.  I shot a 40 - 41 = 81 today. I've managed to stay around 80 my last 4 or 5 rounds.  The Senior Tees were moved back a little further today than normal.  I think they're getting ready for some type tournament and all the tees were back and most of the flags were on the back of the green.  So, with the rain delays and the tees further back, I'd say my 81 is acceptable.  I walked the 18 today and when I finished I was soaking wet.  And not from the rain. I can walk Shawnee in hot weather, but when it's in the 90's I've gotta ride at Iroquois GC.  Even flat, walking 18 at Shawnee takes a lot out of you in this heat.
Round 24 for the Year!

No comments: