Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dealing in 'High Finance'

I save a lot of stuff.  My regular readers know this.  I've got a basement full of different collectibles and, some might say, junk. This is one item I've saved for 43 years.  Why? I guess because it struck me funny then, and I still think it's neat.  It's the smallest check I've ever received. 
Sears mailed me my refund while I was in Vietnam.  You'll note on the envelope that it cost them 10 cents to mail this check for 5 cents.
Sears is the same company that, when Mary Lynn and I were in Fresno, turned me down for a credit card when I didn't want one in the first place.  We were shopping in Sears when this young lady walked up to us, clipboard in hand, and asked if we'd like to open a charge account with the company.  I politely declined, not wanting a Sears Charge Card.  She insisted, telling me how handy it would be, and I would really help her out if I'd sign up because she could win a prize for the most people signed. Well, I didn't really want a card, but finally I said OK, I'll go ahead and sign up.  I figure I'd just cut up the card when I got it anyway.  Well, filling out the application she noted that I was in the Navy.  "Oh, I'm sorry sir, but we won't give a credit card to anyone in the military!".  Well, I'll be damned!  I didn't want a crappy card anyway, and now she's gone and insulted me.  But, this is their check, never cashed.  I hope it messed up their books for years!  I've never much cared for Sear's anyway.

2 comments:

Judith Bowman said...

Ha! I'll bet no one else has a check from Sears for five cents from back then, or a story like that!

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I'm laughing...I remember that.