Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Docent Training at The Louisville Zoo

Some of you know this, others may not, but for the past 5 weeks or so I've been training to be a Docent at the Louisville Zoo.  The training began with orientation on July 16th, and my first class was August 24th.  I have classes each Wednesday, from 9:00 to 12:30, until November 30th.  At that time I'll be a trained Docent and can start doing Volunteer work in the field of educating others about the animals living at the Zoo.
At the end of each session they bring in 3 of the animals they use in the 'Outreach' program.  That is, the Docent's take them out to off-site places, schools, senior housing, pre-schools, etc., for a little show and tell.
In order to sign off on the sheet that says you've handled the animal, you must remove it from it's enclosure, present it to someone to touch or pet, and then return it to it's enclosure.  So far I've handled a Box Turtle, Chinchilla, Ball Python, Lop-eared Rabbit, Rose Hair Tarantula, Hissing Cockroach, Tiger Salamander, Bearded Dragon, Pygmy Hedgehog, ferret, and a Guinea Pig.
Also, the last hour or so of class we go out to one of the exhibits and go behind the scenes. We've been to the Herpaquarium basement, and the Islands exhibit with the Tapirs and the Sumatran Tiger.  Today, we went to the Elephant Enclosure.

The Louisville Zoo has 2 elephants, one Asian elephant and one African Elephant.  There are many differences, but a quick look at the ears and head you can tell the difference.  The Asian has two rounded bumps on top the head and smaller ears, versus a fairly flat head and large ears for the African Elephant. I also learned that the Asian Elephant's name is Punch, and the African Elephant is Mikki.
We got to go inside the pen and stand in the yard where the elephants are on display, and stand right beside the elephants and pet them.  Of course the trainers were right there.  But that was pretty neat.  The skin of the African Elephant was very rough with bristly hair, but the back of her ears were very soft and velvety feeling.  The trainers said they give them Jelly Beans for a special treat and the elephants love them.  I asked how many they give them, a hand full, or what?  Nope, ONE Jelly bean. They love it!  That's their treats when they do what they're told.

Well, I've got two full months of training left, so I'm sure I'll handle all the other 'Outreach' animals before I'm through.  Other snakes, Toads, Tarantula's, Frogs, Millipede's, Rats, Opossum, and a few other varmits.  It's been very interesting, and with a few things behind me after this weekend, I'll have more time to finish some of my up close and in person training requirements.  

2 comments:

Mark said...

I tried to train as a docent, but the told me not to come back because I kept asking what they tasted like.

Judith Bowman said...

How many Grampys do you know who have petted an elephant behind the ears or handled a python? Cool!