Thursday, September 22, 2011

Box Turtle

On the way home from Iroquois GC today I found this Box Turtle crossing the street and had to stop and pick him up.  I used to see them crossing streets all the time years ago but this is the first one I've seen in years.  He was crossing Summit Ave., just a few blocks from home.
I figured I'd rescued him so he wouldn't get run over by a car, so I don't plan to keep him.  But I would like to keep him long enough for Erin and Jill to see him.
I'll have to google him and see what you're supposed to feed him.  I remember when the boys were little we had one and he loved nightcrawlers.  I put a little cheese, sausage, and a carrot in with him to see if he'd eat any of that.  I hate that the picture is so 'orange' looking, but I put him in my recycle bin, so it kinda gave everything an orange tint.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Cool! I wonder if he escaped from someone else who found him out in the "country." I very rarely see them, either. I've heard that they are getting scarcer due to loss of habitat. Erin and Jill would love to see him. When you let him go, I hope it's far, far away from the city!

Mark said...

Do you have a turtle “contact” at the zoo, now that you are “in” there? Stuff I just read on the internet indicates that box turtles should only be released where they were found because they will always try to get back home. One expert I saw said this is true, even if you found the turtle in the city! I don’t want to challenge a turtle expert, but it seems likely to me that this turtle escaped from someone in the neighborhood anyway, and would get run over by a car regardless. It will probably also be wanting to hibernate sometime in the next month. Another concern is that if it’s released into a new area, it can bring new diseases to the native turtle population. I find it all very confusing. Do you have a turtle expert?