Monday, March 1, 2010

Back to Metal Detecting Again!


After a long wait, it's metal detecting season again! I thought it might be too muddy or the ground may still be frozen, but other than it being a little cool, the conditions were fine. I didn't find much to brag about, but because it's the first for awhile, I thought I'd show a picture of all I found, less the garbage. A parks employee came up to me while I was there and said that metal detectors were leaving big holes in the Park. I think he wanted me to quit. I explained how I dug holes, digging out a round piece of sod and putting it back, and tamping down the spot. We compromised by my going to the bottom of the hill to dig. While detecting, I starting thinking about all the things I wish I'd said to him. Ain't that always the case? Here I am standing on a hill that has bee completing torn up by sledders. Dogs running around me digging in the ground, leaving behind their droppings that the owners are not picking up. And this guy is telling me I'm destroying the Park! I remove all items I dig up, including garbage. And I remove a lot of that. The hillside is covered with pieces of sleds and garbage that sledders leave behind after tearing up the hillside. Yet, Metal Detectors are singled out for the 'Damage' they do.

No comments: