Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bardstown Country Club pulls the old "Bait and Switch" !

I played golf with Greg Lynn, Harold Goad, and J. R. Harris today.  Greg lives in Versailles, Ky, and Harold lives in Georgetown.  We usually play at Weissinger Hills GC, because Greg and Harold come from up east and it's sorta a halfway point. But, when I called for a Tee Time, they had some kind of tournament going on.  So, I thought Bardstown would be OK, with it just being off the Bluegrass Parkway and pretty easy for them to get to,  plus not to difficult coming from Louisville. 
So, I called and made a Tee Time for Maywood GC for 9:30 Sunday morning.  No problem, Maywood and 9:30.  But, upon arrival, we were instructed our Tee Time was at their sister course, Maylawn GC, a few miles away.  Both Courses owned by the same people.  I don't like this course.  I don't think anybody else does either.  I think they pulled the old "Bait and Switch" on us, because they're just not getting the play at Maylawn GC that they are getting at Maywood GC.  You know a course is not getting the play when you arrive almost a half hour early for your Tee Time and they say "You can go off at any time!"  Maylawn is about 500 yards longer than Maywood.  Not suited to my game!  Plus not knowing the course I made a few shot selection mistakes that really cost me.
I shot a 42 - 46 + 88 for my 24th round of the year.  Not a real bad score, but knowing the course I believe I could have knocked off 5 or 6 strokes.  Plus, it was a lot longer than what I've been playing.  They had no senior tee, just Blue, White, and Red.  I don't think Greg and Harold would have played from the Red, but it would have been to my liking.  The Maylawn course is 6037 yards from the white tees.  That's 1000 yards longer than I've been playing.  Maywood  course, which we should have been on, is 5543 yards from the white tees, 500 yards shorter.  So, I really think they didn't tell me on purpose when I made the tee time that I was going to be on Maylawn, and let me believe we were playing Maywood until we arrived to play.  I don't like that.  Needless to say, neither course will see my business again.

No comments: