Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I have been Anointed! or Killer Chinchilla's!

I went on an 'Outreach' with the Louisville Zoo today.  We went to "Bright Horizons" Day Care, Downtown on 4th Street.  We took 3 animals with us, the Chinchilla, Bearded Dragon, and Pygmy Hedgehog.  I handled the Chinchilla.
He bit me!  Actually he bit me 3 or 4 times, but the first time was the only one that broke the skin and drew a little blood.  Because of that I had to report it to the Keeper when I got back.  Well, it seems  Elliot, the Chinchilla, has had a history of not behaving very well and has bitten several people here lately.  Thanks for the warning!  I was able to handle him OK, and let the young children touch him.  Of course, he's held where his head is away from the kids so they were in no danger of being bitten.
This was my first Outreach with Docents who have no more experience than I do.  All three of us graduated this past year, so it was good experience.  When you go on an Outreach with the older Docents you feel like you are still in school and learning.  And you really are.  Each trip is a learning experience, and watching some of the older Docents work can teach you a lot valuable tricks.
But, being bitten is part of being a Docent and handling animals.  Having them mess on you is also part of the experience.  When training, many of the trainees were concerned about being bitten, but the experienced Docents said that it's the other end you need to be concerned about.  So, I have now been anointed.  Of course, I've had the Tegu mess on my towel when I had him in my lap.  That's why the towel was there.  So, I'd already been anointed by the other end.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Well...congratulations?

mary Lynn said...

You should have bitten him back.