Thursday, May 10, 2012

Maybe my lowest Score ever...but you have to know how we play.

I know I have hundreds, maybe thousands of faithful readers.  And, I'm constantly writing about my golf rounds.  I've mentioned this in the past, and I may have some new readers since then or some of you may have forgotten this.  So I'll go over how we play and you can take what I shoot on the golf course and understand I'm not as good as the scores I post!
We play improved lies.  I play with the same bunch of 25 or so guys and this is our system.  We take gimmies, and because of the variance between foursomes gimmies, we have decided that anything inside 30" is a gimmie.  This distance is marked on our Putters. We play from the "Senior Tees", but several us, yes, me included, have moved up to the Red, "Ladies" Tees after seeing that the courses had not moved the Senior Tees up to an acceptable distance. On many holes the difference is less then 5 yards, but on several holes there is a significant difference. Also, no ball is lost if it is known to be inbounds and on the course.  Drop another without a penalty.  However, Out of Bounds balls are taken in from the distance they were hit, and one penalty stroke taken.  And, we are allowed no more than a triple bogey.  One other item.  On Tuesday at Shawnee GC we play our own ball all the way, but at Iroquois GC we always play a 'Shamble' on 2 holes,  1 and 10, because we play Team competition on Thursdays.  For those of you that don't know, a 'Shamble' is when you play your own ball from the best drive of your foursome.
So, now you know.  You still must hit the ball well and putt well to score well.  I'll tell you how I did today.
At Iroquois today I had the lowest score I've ever had.  I shot a 37 - 37 = 74, and won low man money of $10!  Our team came in 3rd out of 4 teams.
I really didn't think I played as well as I scored, at least not hitting the ball solid.  I did hit decent shots, though  very seldom did I hit my best shot.  But, I kept the ball in play and made a lot of par saving putts.  I had 13 pars, 1 birdie, and 4 bogeys.  Another round where I didn't have anything over a bogey, which is my goal each time I play. 
My favorite Scramble of the year is coming up Saturday.  It's the Coca-Cola Company Scramble, and this is the only time I get to play golf with my 3 sons.  We never seem to challenge for the lead, but I always enjoy being out on the course with Mark, Kevin, and Brian.  Brian plays well, Kevin plays a respectable game, and Mark, I think, plays excellent for this being the only time each year he picks up a golf club.  I'm looking forward to it, and I'll let you know how we do.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

You'll be the best looking team on the course, for sure.