Friday, May 11, 2012

"Cool Hand Luke" I Ain't

Mary Lynn and I played "Cool Hand Luke" today and went back to our Alley Hillside and tackled the weeds.  I could have sworn we worked back there for 8 hours, but Mary Lynn informed me it was only two hours.  I told her that in "Cool Hand Luke" they do this for 8 hours a day, day after day.  I don't know how they can do it.  She said, "Well, they're not as old as we are!"  We got pretty tired and hot before we got done and had to take a few breaks.  At one point I had to tell her to "get mad at them weeds!"
Our yard drops off about 8 feet from the fence to the Alley.  A pretty good tumble can be taken if you're not careful.  Especially when you just may roll off the hill in front of a car that may happen by.
We used snippers and a weed whip to trim it back.  It was a pretty hard job and I'm glad it got done.  I'd already trimmed the hill from the Alley, all I could reach, and I'd had the mower just behind the fence.  But the hill drops off so steep, you just can't get the mower on it safely.  As a matter of fact, it's hard just to stand on it safely!  But, it's trimmed back now and should last a few weeks.  I'll get back there with the weed whip the rest of the summer and cut what's growing before it has a chance to get big enough that a weed whip won't cut it.

3 comments:

Judith Bowman said...

Whoa. Looks like lots of hard work to me. But I had to comment on your picture. Like the cool shot of the fence.

Anonymous said...

when he told me he blogged about cutting weeds, I told him he'd blog about "anything," and that I might blog about cleaning the bathroom or ironing.

Mark said...

Remember, you can borrow my cordless trimmer any time you want.