Sunday, May 20, 2012

I am now an Award Winning Docent!

The Louisville Zoo had their Volunteer Awards Dinner this afternoon.  This is the one time each year they recognize  the Docents for the hard work they do and pick out those who deserve special recognition.




Out of Class of 35 new Docents this past year, 3 were picked as a Docent who jumped right in and started educating the public upon graduation.  I was one of the 3 Awarded the 'Leap Right In' Award.
This Award was given as the very first Award of the night, so I received the first award given out on an evening where there were a lot of awards and recognition given for all the hard work and volunteer time put in by all the Louisville Zoo Docents.




A Docent is required to put in 48 hours in a year to remain a Docent.  This is really not much time, considering it's less than an hour a week.  Tonight, listening to the awards, and the number of hours some of these people put in as volunteers, was amazing.  Many of these people put in hundreds of hours.  I think the most I heard was over 800 hours for one year.  But many were in the 300-500 hour range.  Amazing!  When looking at the hours I thought I'd probably put in, I was thinking I might be around 100-150 hours a  year, and I thought that was a lot.  I can't imagine putting in 850 hours in volunteer work.  And it is work.  I went over to the Zoo yesterday and took a Ball Python to  the Herpaquarium for about an hour, and then took the Rhino horn we have up to the Rhino exhibit and talked to people up there for a little over an hour.  I would guess in about 2 and half hours I talked to over 350 people.  That's a lot of talking,  a lot of questions answered. And, I'd like to think I enhanced the visit to the Zoo for each one of those people.  After I was finished, I had sweat my shirt ringing wet, my throat was dry from talking, and I was tired.  It was enjoyable, but it is hard work.
We were told that the last 12 months has been the largest rolling 12 month attendance in the Louisville Zoo history.  Over 948,000 people.  Just short of 1 million!  I'd like to think that the Docents, making patrons visits more enjoyable, has helped increase the attendance.  Yes, I'm sure the good weather has been a factor, but I'd like to think the Docents have had a little influence on those numbers.
Congratulations to all you hard working Docents!

4 comments:

Judith Bowman said...

And congratulations to you, Bobby!

Anonymous said...

Your award was well deserved.

Mark said...

Good job! I'm proud of you!

Margaret Koelmel said...

I want to appreciate Dr. Ebore for his loving kindness over my life and my family. Two weeks ago, I won the lottery of one million Euro from 2 lottery plays. After so many years of playing the lottery and losing, I was referred to Dr. Ebore by a colleague whom the prophet helped with a very powerful lottery spell. He gave me the correct lottery winning numbers which I played and won. Right now, I have started a business of my own and also bought myself a house with all the features I love. Thank you Dr. Ebore for your honesty and magical works. If you are interested in any type of spell E.g. Money spell, protection, love bond, success, weight loss, healing, fertility, promotion, etc. please contact ehitemple@gmail.com, text/call: +19723839289.
Best Regards,
Blessings.