Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dollar, Dollar, Dollar......


Bobby Flood called me this morning and wanted to know if I could meet him at 1:00 at Maplehurst GC. Well, for a retired guy without any plans it was no problem. Every time we play, we always play a $1 Nassau. That is $1 front nine, $1 back nine, $1 for the 18. I usually give him 3 strokes a side. This time he was confident. "I don't need any strokes today. But just in case, we'll adjust on the back nine."Well, on the front nine I shot a 43 to his 50. So, $1 for me. He requested, and after some protest, received 6 strokes on the back nine. I shot a 40 to his 47. $1 for me and $1 for the 18. I LOVE Bobby's money!
Maplehurst (Valhalla of Bullitt County) is still a goat ranch. The fairways were Bullitt County Zoysia (Crabgrass), and the back and forth fairways have always made for golf balls flying from all directions. The greens didn't hold at all. You were always rolling off the back of the greens. They have very small greens and I'd forgotten how much break most of them had. I think it's been at least 10 years since I've played out there.
The golf was fine, the weather great, and I had lots of fun. Plus, I got Bobby's $3, which if you notice he had to dig in his cars console to find 4 quarters!This was golf round #43 for the year.
***I forgot to mention that we played in 2 hours and 40 minutes and had to wait a lot for the twosome in front of us!

1 comment:

Judith Bowman said...

Way to go, Bad Bob! You look very pleased with your earnings. By the way, I was in Borders bookstore downtown yesterday and they had a quote up on the wall by Groucho Marx. I immediately thought of you since he's one of your favorites. It went something like: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read."