Monday, April 6, 2009

April 3, 1974

Oh yes, I remember it well. I was driving home from work, watching the green, swirling, rolling clouds full of debris, and listening to the reports on WHAS Radio. The whole time I was driving I was looking for places to take shelter if the Tornado looked to be heading my way.
The reports on the radio had the Tornado moving from the Fairgounds, through Audubon Park and into Cherokee Park. I know my home was in that line and was scared to death. When I got to Ellison and Barret I finally knew my house and family were OK. That was the first and only time cars were backed all the way up Goddard Avenue from Baxter to Barrett.
After being home for about a half hour I got on a bicycle and road up to the area that was hit, Bardstown Road and Eastern Pkwy, Cherokee Park by the Boone statue, and through streets between Bardstown and Newburg. What a sight! So many people out surveying the damage, roofs damaged, chimneys toppled, trees and electric lines down everywhere. There is a picture taken at Eastern Parkway looking out Bardstown Road that's been in books and the paper, and that's the view I remember seeing.
My sister Jean lived in Palmyra, Indiana, brother Joe lived in Richmond, Ky, and I lived in Louisville. It's amazing, but the tornado only missed my house by about 3 blocks, but missing me further than it missed my brother or sister! That's how widespread the tornado's were that day.
That day will always be the benchmark for any other bad weather days Kentucky ever has.

No comments: