Friday, July 6, 2012

I Hope They enjoyed it as much as I did!

I taught an 'Experienceing Animals' Class at Chance School Summer Camp today.  A major hitch in the plan developed when the extreme heat stopped me from being able to take many live animals to the class.  The only 'live' animals I could take was the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach, and the Bearded Dragon.  So, we loaded up on other Biofacts so the youngsters would have things to see and touch.  I think it turned out well, despite the animal shortage.





Here, Kim demonstrates our 'Orangutan Coat', showing them how long the arms are on a full grown Orangutan.










My two favorite girls, Erin and Jillian, getting to touch the Bearded Dragon.






All the kids were so well behaved and smart.  I was talking about the elephants tusks, and how elephants are 'right tusked' or 'left tusked', much like we're right handed and left handed. You tell which they favor because one of the tusks will be a little more rounded on the end and worn.  One of the young boys said, "Unless they're ambidextrous!".  Now, there's a word you don't hear from that age group very often!




We ran a little long and had to wrap it up.  We didn't even get to the Snake Skeleton, Snake Shed, Polar Bear Fur and Claws, Grizzly Claws, and Porcupine Quills!

A special thanks to my photographer, Judy Bowman(AKA Nana), who did me a favor snapping pictures during the class.  Thanks Judy, you did a fine job and I appreciate it very much.

2 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

I love the last picture, the little girl in yellow sitting on Jill's lap. Cute.

Judith Bowman said...

This was a fun, interesting day! The children loved it.