Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cousins you say?......Let me count the ways....

According to several posts on Face book yesterday, it was Cousin's Day.  It got me to thinking about my cousins. I don't think I've ever stopped to count them, so in this blog I'll try.
Let's start at the top.  I have double-cousins!  A lot of people don't have such a thing.  My Uncle Bill, my Mom's brother, was married to my Dad's sister, Mary Catherine (Skeets).  They had 10 children, all of which are my double-cousin's because we are related on both parents side.  Those 10 children, in order, are, Willie, Susie, Tommy, Melanie, Celeste, David, Johnny, Mary Dow, Daniel, and last but not least, Pat.  Other than brothers and sisters, I believe these would be my closest relations.  This photo had to be Circa 1951.
That was easy.  We'll go to another easy one.
Alice and Judy.  These are my Mother's other brother Jim's  2 children.  That takes care of my mother's side of the family.  That was the easy part.  We now total 12 cousins, 10 of them 'Double'.











My Dad's sister, Thelma Ruth, had a large family, so I'll put them next.  They also had 10 children:  Deanna, Janet, Carol, Mary, Theresa, Cynthia, Gary, Margaret, Thomas, and Nicholas.  As you can see, my Uncle Bob got a little worried with SIX  girls before having a son.  I pretty sure this picture was taken Easter, 1957.
So, keeping a total, we now have 22 Cousins, 10 of them 'Double'.
I don't have a family picture of a lot of my cousins, so I'll have to combine a couple of families into this one picture.  Of course, Tom Jecker is mentioned above.
Dad's brother, Uncle Jim, and his wife, Christine, had 4 children.  They are in order:  Bernie, Johnny, Darlene, and Tony.
My Dad's sister, Ethel May, married Bill Clemerson, and they had 6 children. In order:  Steve, Richard, Michael, Diane, Marilyn, and Edward.

I believe this takes me up to 32 cousins, 10 of them 'Double'.

My Dad's brother, Uncle Herman (Hank), married Regine Janik, and they had 2 children:  Regine and Stan. I met Regine when she was very young, 4 or 5 years old, but I've never met Stan.  We are friends on Face book, though.  My best guess would be this photo was taken 1964-65.

My total is now 34.







My Dad's brother, Philip, moved out west, Washington, State,  got married, raised a family, and I've never met those cousin's.  Philip married Lucy Fogelman and they had 4 children:  Wesley, John, Linda, and Robin.  I have corresponded with Linda, Robin, and Wesley.

This brings my cousin total to 38.

My Dad's youngest brother, Charles, married and had one son before divorcing his wife, Joyce.  Even though mother and son live in Jefferson County, as far was we know, I've never met him.  His name, Scott Tabler.My Dad's brother Tom (Turk) was married to Sylvia.  She had 2 son's from a previous marriage.  I have no idea if anything was done legally as far as adoption, so I am assuming these two would be no relation to me.

So, my official count would be 39 cousin's, 10 of them 'Double Cousin's'.  I don't even want to try and figure out how many 2nd cousin's I have or 1st Cousin's once removed.  That would be a job for a larger computer than I have!

1 comment:

Mary Lynn said...

Whew, that family certainly went forth and multiplied. I have 9 on daddy's side - all Mary Bourke's. and just 6 on Dot's, if I'm counting correctly, and 4 of them were old enough that they always seemed like aunts and uncles.