Friday, January 20, 2012

Visit to the Zoo

I haven't been to the Zoo for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd go over and get a little Docent time in.  I'm scheduled to help in classes next week on Monday and Wednesday mornings, but I received an email that they were short people this Saturday for the Girl Scout program.  So I thought I'd go over and do an interpretation, check to see if they still needed help tomorrow, and check the board to see if there was anything new to sign up for.  They had all the help they needed for tomorrow, but I signed up for 2 Outreach programs, 1 in Feb and 1 in March.  One is a Cub Scout Troop and the other a Kindergarten Class.

While I was at the Zoo I thought I might as well get a little interpretation time.  That's where we go out to an exhibit with a bio-fact and talk to people who happen to come through about the animals on exhibit and maybe share a few interesting facts.  Well, the reason I don't like going over during the week in Winter is because there are very few people visiting the Zoo.  I spent almost an hour at the Komodo Dragon/Cuban Crocodile exhibit and had one person come through.  She was very nice and I tried not to push myself on her, or any information.  I realize how pushy some people can be and I tried not to be one of those people.  I think I did fine, and we had a polite conversation and she seemed to be pleased with the couple of facts I talked to her about.  Then she was on her way.


While at the exhibit, the Komodo Dragon never moved a muscle, and neither did the Cuban Crocodiles.  The Komodo Dragon can eat 60 percent of his body weight in one feeding, then sleeps it off.  So he may have eaten not long ago, but then again, he sleeps a lot anyway.
The 2 Cuban Crocodiles were over by the little gate that leads to their feeding area.  It must have been close to their feeding time, and they didn't move from there.
I'll tell you a little about the Cuban Crocodile.  It was once found on most of the Caribbean islands but is now only found in the wild in 2 small swampy areas of Cuba.  It is a highly endangered species.  The SSP (Species Survival Plan) headquarters for coordinated breeding of the Cuban Crocodile is located at the Louisville Zoo.  This program coordinates breeding worldwide, preventing inbreeding to ensure healthy offspring. And, you want to know a quick and easy way to tell the difference between an alligator and a crocodile?  Look at the picture.  See the lower tooth near the end of the snout sticking up outside the jaw? That is a crocodile.  Alligators won't have that.

So, not much going on at the Zoo today.  Weekdays in the Winter, the crowds just aren't there.  I really don't like to go very long without checking in because you have to keep a constant check on the boards to see if there is anything new going on that needs volunteers.  And, if I go, I'd like to get credit for a little time.  We have a book to record our time.  I have my required hours in already, so I don't have to worry about that.  Our year ends April 30th.  Each year we are required to get in 48 hours, 36 of those educational, to
stay qualified.

2 comments:

Judith Bowman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith Bowman said...

I think the Cuban Crocodile is kind of cute, for a crocodile, with his polka dots and little smile. Interesting info, Docent Bob.