Thursday, January 19, 2012

Political View? No, taxpayer rant!

When I started this blog I promised to stay away from political and religious opinions and viewpoints.  And, I still plan to keep my promise. But, I don't think this is a political viewpoint, but one of a taxpayer being stiffed!
Our Mayor, in his infinite wisdom, decided to save money by skipping a day of garbage pick up.  Yes, I can get by without that pick up.  But why should I when I've paid for it?  There are other programs provided for people who haven't paid for it that can be cut. 
Why do I pay taxes?  I pay taxes so that the government can provide me services that I cannot provide for myself.  These things?  An Army to protect my country, the building and maintaining of roads and bridges, police and fire protection, building, staffing, and maintaining prisons, libraries, schools, etc.,and garbage collection.  These are the things that I pay taxes to my government so that they can, in turn, provide for me.  I have my own personal responsibility to house, clothe, and feed myself.  That's not the governments job.
Let me offer an analogy.  I pay a lawn service to cut and trim my grass every two weeks.  They do this, but are making pretty good money so they decide to go into the poorer neighborhoods and cut several peoples grass for free.  Times get hard, money gets a little tight.  One day they come to me and tell me "Mr. Tabler, we'll have to skip your yard a couple of weeks because we can't afford to cut your grass and cut the poor peoples grass, too."  What?  I paid you to cut my grass!  Would you say this is OK?  Well, I wouldn't.

As I said, I can be skipped a week without a big problem.  But why should I?  I paid for this service and it is not provided.  Services paid for by taxpayers are the #1 priority when budgeting the money.  Providing services and helping non-taxpayers are things that are done with any money that is EXTRA! It is not the Governments responsibility to feed, clothe, and house individuals.  That's a Personal responsibility.

Anyway, that's my opinion.  I realize others have different opinions. It's just that I don't believe our government should be a charitable organization. Pay your taxes people! And Government, provide the services your people pay you to do.  I don't even want to get into the whole BRIDGE thing, but the same principle applies there!  What? You don't have the money for it?  I paid you!

No comments: