Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Blast from the Distant Past!

I came across these photos and thought I'd share them.  I found them very interesting. I hope you do, too.


This is a photo of Preston Hwy looking south at the railroad overpass by Audubon Park.  I don't know what the occasion was, but I wonder if anyone in this photo has a copy of this picture?









This old Steiden Store was at the corner of Bardstown Road at Douglas Loop.  The building is now the site of Heine Bros Coffee Shop.  The Steiden Stores were bought out by A & P around 1960.










Looking South on Bardstown Road at Bonnycastle.  This looks to be late 1930's.  If you go there and stand in the same spot, you'll see the same buildings, just different names on the storefronts. And, no streetcar tracks.  You'll notice behind the Walgreens sign is a 'Piggly-Wiggly' Market!










This is a view of Dixie Hwy looking North at the point of the 7th St intersection.  Southland Terrace Shopping Center would be just to the right in about 20 more years.  The truck is parked in front of St. Helens Church.  Maybe around early 1930's.  Notice Dixie Hwy is two lanes and not striped.  I know Dixie Hwy was only two lanes when I was growing up and crossed it every day going to and from St. Matthias School.
And, last but not least, the White Castle at 1st and Market Streets.  The White Castle is still there, but now boasts to be the largest White Castle in the World!  Evidently, they rebuilt.















Oops! This is a late entry.  I forgot about it until I was looking through my pictures.  This is Plehns Bakery in St Matthews, looking south on Shelbyville Road.  The bakery is still there.  This photo looks to be in the late 1920's.

No comments: