Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ye Olde Flaget H. S. Trophies

After talking with Billy Ralston this past weekend, (Billy was 1 year behind be at Flaget), I decided to dig out my old football trophies.  He said he didn't Letter as a Freshman in football and had never heard of the "F-Man" Trophy.  This was a trophy you received when you Lettered 4 years in a sport.  So I took a picture of it and sent it to him via email.  This all came about because of the 50th anniversary of our State Championship in 1961, as mentioned with team picture a couple of posts ago.
Lettering as a Freshman I received a Letter, that was it.  Then, as a Sophomore I received a Sweater w/letter, then a Junior, a Jacket w/letter.  This trophy was given to Seniors, instead of a Letter, who'd Lettered 4 years.  That wasn't done very often.  In order to receive a Letter you had to play a certain amount of minutes in games.  It helped me a lot that my Freshman and Sophomore years we had very good teams.  So the 'mop-up' minutes were fairly plentiful.
I also noticed that the trophy I received for Most Improved JV didn't even have my name on it!  But, it was presented to me at the end of the year Banquet.  Also, the F-Man trophy has the years 1961, 62, 63.  It didn't have 1960 on it, which was my first letter year.  I don't know why that is, either.
I asked Billy in the email if he thought these might be welcomed at the Flaget Museum.  If they don't go there, when I'm gone I don't think anybody else would want them.  So I may have to check them out.  But, if I do that I just might take that plaque someplace and have my name engraved on it.  What the heck.  People might as well know who the "Most Improved JV" was in 1961.  By the way, even if I keep the plaque, getting my name engraved on it might be a nice Christmas Present from someone.

No comments: