Saturday, December 17, 2011

Working the Santa Safari

The Louisville Zoo had their 2nd weekend of the Santa Safari.  I worked all three sessions today.  The children go to the 2nd floor, see Santa, receive a 'Passport' that needs 10 stamps, one each from each of the 10 stations set up around the Zoo.  I helped man one of the stations.
The first session I worked in the Meta Zoo at Station #10.  I worked with another Bob, and I handled the Bearded Dragon for an hour.  He was pretty calm, but got a little skittish when a bunch of kids came at him at the same time, a little noisy.  He also got a little restless after he'd been out for awhile, close to the end of the session.  It was fun and the little ones enjoyed touching the Lizard.









The 2nd session I went over to the Herpaquarium to Station #5.  I worked by myself for that hour.  I handled the Ball Python, and just instructed the people to use the hand sanitizer on the table and stamp their 'Passports' themselves.  The people really enjoyed being able to touch a real snake.  The Python, Maude, was pretty docile throughout the session, but got a little restless as time came to a close.  I had one of the Mother's take this picture for me.




The 3rd and final session I worked the same spot, Station #5, but this time I worked with Marisa. I'm sorry if I spelled your name wrong, she told me she was going to check out my blog.  I enjoyed this hour a lot.   Marissa was fun to work with. She's a Veterinarian and her animal knowledge goes well beyond the Docent Training we've received.  The people really like to touch a real, live, snake.  Marissa handled him for most of the session then I took him for the last 20 minutes or so. We had a different  Ball Python for this session, Stevie.

This is fun to do.  The people really enjoy being able to see an animal up close and being able to touch it and have their kids touch it. I mean, how much fun would it be to call Grandma and Grandpa tonight and tell them they touched a real snake?

No comments: