Monday, December 12, 2011

More animal handling as part of my training

Today was the 7th and 8th animals I've handled for Julie, the Animal Keeper in the Meta-Zoo, who is in charge of all the animals.  She must see us handle the animals to OK us signing out the animals for classes.  Even though we've handled them in class, she must OK us herself.



The first animal we handled today was the Andean Milk Snake.  While this is not a picture of us, it's about the same size as the one I handled today.  They're given to us in a pillow case tied up, and in a Tupperware Container.  We need to open up the pillow case, take the snake out, present him to someone to touch, put him back, and tie up the pillow case.




The other animal was a Chinchilla.  They're pretty fast, so you crack open the case just wide enough to put your hand in, make sure you have a good hold on him before you open the case wide enough to bring him out.  He was a little skittish today and kinda hard to hold. He would settle down some after being out for a couple of minutes.  These little guys are pretty fast and hard to catch if you let them get loose.  They're actually a lot smaller than they look because their fur is so thick.


I'm scheduled to work this Saturday at the Santa Safari.  The first hour I'll be in the Young Discovery Room in the MetaZoo Holding a Bearded Dragon.  The second and third hours I'll be in the Herpaquarium by the Komodo Dragon.  I think I'll be holding a Ball Python there.  You don't need to be part of the Santa Safari to go to the Zoo and come by Saturday.  The hours I work are from 10:45 thru 3:45.  See you at the Zoo!

No comments: