Wednesday, November 2, 2011

More Golf at Shawnee GC on a Tuesday

What a beautiful day for round 58 of the year.  Walking 18 holes on a Fall day with the leaves falling and the sun shining is what the retired life is all about.  I enjoyed the day even though I didn't play very well.  It seems like I lost something about 3 weeks ago and can't seem to get it back.  It was the same way early in the year.  Out of the 18 holes, I play 13 or 14 well and get big numbers on the other 3 or 4 holes.  And that's enough to balloon my score out of the respectable range.  Yesterday I started off triple bogeying the first hole.  After a good drive, good 3 wood, I hit a fat iron to the green, well short, then wedged up and ran off the back, short siding myself.  Chipping up past the hole, then 3 putting on a fast green.  I look back at that hole and one iron shot hit fat cost me 2- 3 strokes.  And that's the way the day went.  Really good shots lost because of one bad shot on a couple of holes each side.

I was trying to figure out why my game goes south during the Spring and Fall.  I think my body hasn't adjusted to the little bit of tightness in my muscles due to temperature change, or posssibly the change in the clothes I need to wear.  Each of these might cause just enough difference in my normal swing.  I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here to try and understand.  It seems every Spring and Fall I play terrible, but seem to play better during the Winter and Summer after settling in to the normal temperature.  I was thinking it was the difference the the balls carry due to cooler weather, but it's not.  I just don't hit the ball flush way too often during these times I'm playing bad.  Either hitting it thin or fat.  I'll hit an iron fat from the fairway, leaving me short, then hit my wedge up a little thin and run over the green.  Maybe it's just because I'm a lousy golfer?  Yeah, that's probably it.

Oh, by the way, I shot a 44 - 46 = 90.  Had a birdie on #7 with a nice drive, nice 3 wood, and a nice 15' putt.  Followed by a par 3 that I pushed my tee shot, hit the carpath, and jumped into the weeds.  Wedged up over a bunker, 3 putted for a 6.  Consistency!

No comments: