Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Metal detecting, first time in a long time!

I got out to metal detect today for the first time in a long time.  I didn't find much, it was cold, but it was nice to get out.  I found 39 cents, a top of a silver plated spoon, and some pieces of a broken up metal figurine.  I don't know what kind of metal it is, but a magnet won't stick to it.  I think it's either pot metal or lead.  It's very heavy, so I think it might be lead.  The larger piece, you can see an ear and flowing hair.  At least, that's what it looks like to me. No idea what it used to be when it was whole.  Could have been part of a lamp, door stop, fireplace cover.  Who knows.  I think there were more pieces in the area, but once I found the large one and several small pieces I figured that was enough to tell me it wasn't worth digging more.
I detected in the field in front of the Zoo.  Actually, beside the Zoo parking lot between Illinois Ave.  I saw some older kids throwing a football around there the other day and figured that it was an open area used by people, and might have something worth finding in the ground.  I figured if the Zoo didn't want me to detect there they'd come out and tell me.  Nobody bothered me.  The biggest problem is that there is no place to park.  There's no parking along the Zoo side, so I parked on the street in front of some one's house.  The lanes aren't very wide, so to get around my car you would have to drive in the other lane.  But, it wasn't a very busy street.  I think I'll try there again.

1 comment:

Judith Bowman said...

Makes you wonder what was there years ago when lead ornaments like that decorated alot of things...interesting!