Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Flaget H. S. Football State Champs 1961

50 YEARS!  It's hard to believe it's been that long.  I just got a phone call that they're honoring the 1961 Flaget H. S. State Champs at the State Championship football game in Bowling Green, Ky., this Saturday.  I declined to attend, but it would have been nice.  I wish it was being held at Papa John's Stadium in Louisville. 
I was only a sophomore at the time and not a starter, but it was my second 'Letter' year.  I lettered as a Freshman and was a 4 year Letterman in Football.  I did contribute to the season.  I kept one of our Shutouts alive.  While I only played 'mop-up' minutes', I intercepted a pass in the Trinity game on the 10 yard line late in the game when they were driving for a score.  So I feel I had a major part in the number of 'shut-outs' that team had.  That year I won the "Most Improved" JV player trophy.
My Flaget football career had a major setback the following year.  When our starting Fullback was still recovering from a broken ankle, I stepped in to the starting roll pre-season.  While playing a pre-season game at Seneca Park I broke my ribs on a play up the middle.  Several plays after I left the game, the Sophomore Fullback who took my place broke loose for a 60 yard touchdown!.  By the time I recovered from my injury, the starting Senior Fullback had returned and the Sophomore 'Phenom" had jumped ahead of me to be the back-up.  That left me out in the cold.  I talked with Coach Miller and we decided it would be best that I move to the End position.  That's how my Junior and Senior year resulted with me being an end, and why I was wearing #46 in the picture, but as a Junior and Senior I was #83.  Offensive End was a tough position for a guy playing without glasses and was as blind as a bat.  I played much better at Defensive End than I did on Offense.
So, knowing my number now, can you find me?  OK, 2nd row from the bottom, 2nd from the right.

2 comments:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

you were just the end, the livin' end.

Judith Bowman said...

Cute, M.L. Well, Bob they say that sports always mirrors life. The ends were my favorite because I could follow them on the field easier - instead of getting all bunched up in a pile or mixed up in the middle. I know that doesn't make much difference, but there you go.