Monday, November 7, 2011

Docent Training Continued

We didn't have a class last Wednesday, but I still worked on fulfilling some of my required tasks.  I went in last Wednesday and did an 'interpretation'.  That's where we go to one of the exhibits, taking with us a 'biofact', such as a piece of giraffe hide, and talk  to the people who come by about the animals.  We went to the giraffe exhibit and talked to people about them.  It was pretty nice because the baby giraffe had just gotten her name the day before.  He name is Amani, meaning Peace in Swahili.
Today I went on an 'Outreach', one of my other requirements.  This is where we take animals out to schools, etc, and teach a lesson there.
We went to St Albert's, just off Westport Road, and taught 3 different groups of 3rd and 4th graders a class on Animal Adaptation.  Each class was 45 minutes.  There were 3 Docents and 2 of us 'Trainees'.  We took along 4 animals.  Above, a picture of one of the animals, a pygmy hedgehog.  I notice in the picture they are not wearing gloves, which we do.  Not because of the spiny hair, which really isn't a problem, but because they have very sharp teeth.  The kids love this animal because he's so cute.  He really works his nose around.


We also took a Tiger Salamander.  This was the only animal the kids were not allowed to touch.  This animal is very 'skin' sensitive and just the handlers touch him, and we must keep our hands wet and him wet at all times.










We also took a Ball Python.  He was about 5 feet long.  Seeing a 'live' snake always thrills people.  I was going to say kids, but snakes always get the attention of everyone.  And I think it will be fun for them to go home and tell Mom and Dad they touched a snake today.










Then, the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.  This is one of those things that make them go "Ooooyuuuk", but they can't take their eyes off it and want to touch it.  This was the animal I handled today.  When you go on an 'Outreach' you can only take 3 animals, but that doesn't count a cockroach, so it can be your 4th animal.  They say cockroaches are 'free'. Because there were 5 of us, the other Trainee didn't handle any animal, but passed around pictures we had and handled the hand sanitizer.


The kids at St Albert were very well behaved and were able to answer a lot of the questions.  They were studying ecosystems and were just getting to animal adaptations.  This was also the first time St Albert had Docents from the Zoo come in to teach a class.  I think the teacher was very pleased with how it was conducted and I would think that we will make many appearances there in the future.  As a matter of fact, one of the Docents with us had another class scheduled there this coming Wednesday.

Now, besides finishing my classes and passing the 'final exam', I only have two more required tasks to complete, and those should be signed off in my book when I go on a 'Night Safari" at the Zoo I have scheduled for Friday night, November 18th.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Very very interesting, Mr. Docent Bob.