Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Derby Glasses by the Score

Many items in my basement I don't really collect, I just accumulate over the years. But Derby Glasses has been one item I have actively collected.  In my display case on the wall I ran out of room to put one of each year.  The last one I had room for in the case was the 2004 glass.

The top left glass is a 1960 Derby Glass, and I have one for each year after that in the case.  The 1974 Glass, which was the 100th running, is the 4th from the right on the second shelf.  The glasses since then are not worth much money because that year started the collection craze.  But, the glasses pre-1974 are all worth pretty good money.  Usually between $35 - $60 each.  Of those glasses, I only have a couple extra other than the ones I have in the case.  However, the glasses since 1974 I have more than one of most of them.  For awhile I bought six glasses each year and stored them away.  The past few years I've just bought two glasses.  I would guess that I have between 200 - 300 glasses.  That's about as close as I can come to a guess without counting them.  I know I have about 20 of the 1974 glasses because I bought 3 sets of 6 at a yard sale about 10 years ago. 
This is part of the Derby Collectibles that will be Kevin's when I'm gone, or he can have them whenever he wants them.  I'll even throw in the cabinet! 

2 comments:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I think "The pickers" from the History Channel would have fun in our basement.

Mary Feagley said...

Was this case custom made? I'm looking to display my husband's glasses.