Wednesday, January 26, 2011

More Collectibles....My autographed baseballs

Another item I have in my basement is a shelf of Autographed Baseballs.  Some of them are very famous Baseball Players, and some of them are not baseball players at all.  Starting at the top, going  L to R then continuing to the bottom shelf in the same order:

BOB FELLER:  Fastball Pitcher known as 'Rapid Robert', he as an 8 time All-Star and is in the Hall of Fame.

HARRY 'the hat' WALKER:  Played Centerfield for the St. Louis Cards, had a .296 Lifetime average. Played also with Phillies, Cubs, Reds.

BILLY  MARTIN:  Played infield with the Yankees then managed Yankees.  Was mostly noted for being fired by Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner multiple times.

KEN GRIFFEY, SR, and  LEE MAY:  Yeah, I'd rather have Juniors, but....  He played outfield with the Reds During the "Big Red Machine" era.  Also played with the Yankees, Cubs, Braves, Mariners. Lee May's name is above Ken Griffey's name.  The ball also has other autograph's on it but I can't make them out. I didn't get these autugraphs myself, so that's why I don't know who they are.

JOE GARAGIOLA:  Played Catcher in the major leagues but was most noted for his work in the Broadcast  booth.

JOHNNY BENCH:  Catcher in the "Big Red Machine" era, hit .267 Lifetime.  Was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1989.

STAN MUSIAL:  Hall of Fame outfielder with the St Louis Cardinals.  Career Batting Average .331, 475 Home Runs.

RED SCHOENDIENST:  Played 2nd base for the Cardinals.  Elected to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee in 1989.  Also Managed the Cardinals.

WALLY MOON:  Played Outfield for the Cardinals and Dodgers.

EARLY WYNN:  Right handed Pitcher elected to the Hall of Fame in 1972.  Won 300 games while playing with the Senators, Indians, and White Sox.

CALVIN BOREL AND ROBBY ALBARADO:  Nope, not ballplayers but Jockeys.   Brian got this ball for me while working with the Bats.

THE CHICKEN:  Probably the #1 Entertainer in the baseball world.  Brian had this ball autographed for me also.  Says "Hi Bob, The Chicken".

GEORGE FOSTER:  Outfielder for the Reds during the "Big Red Machine" Era.

ALLIE REYNOLDS:  Yankees pitcher during the 40's and 50's.  Had a lifetime record of 182 - 107.  Came up one vote shy of making Hall of Fame.

DUSTY BAKER:  Another ball Brian got for me while working for the Bats.  Dusty played for the Braves and Dodgers, lifetime BA of .278.  Was a 2 time All-Star and now manages the Reds.

Except for the ones noted tha Brian got for me and the Ken Griffey ball, all the other balls I had autographed myself.  I know they are authentic.  This is just one more of the many groups of objects I have in my basement. But by no means, the only autographs. I have a golf cap with a lot of golfers autographs from the PGA Tournament, a basketball autographed by Ralph Beard,  a pair of Pat Day's riding goggles signed by him, a picture and 3 winning tickets framed and autographed by Jean Crouget of Seattle Slew's Derby Win, and, probably not the most valuable, but I think the neatest, an autograph of Neil Armstrong, first man on the Moon.  I may have others, but that's all I can think of right off the top of my head.
Oops....almost forgot.  My Jack Nicklaus autographs on a picture of him and on the cover of the Sports Illustrated when he won the Master's in '86.  Plus a card of Arnie and a card of Jack autographed.

1 comment:

Judith Bowman said...

I know you collected things but I didn't realize just how much!

I collect dust bunnies.