Sunday, January 23, 2011

The British Invasion caused me to turn to folk music in the 60's

  I grew up on Rock'n Roll Music.


Listening to Bill Haley, Elvis, Chuck, Fats, Chubby, Jerry Lee, etc.


Then the British Invasion hit in the early 60's.

I know that it's sacrilegious to some people, but I never liked the Beatles!  In my opinion the  end of good ol' Rock'n Roll music. 
The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five, The Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits.....Yuck!
At that time a lot of people turned away from popular music and found an alternative.  Some turned to Country Music....that's why it's so popular today.  I know it was popular then, but this is when it really took off. Others, like myself, turned to Folk Music.  I spent a lot of time listening to the music of Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, The Brothers Four, The Chad Mitchell trio.  I still have those albums.  Most of these artist's I have several of their albums.    One item  of interest, on the last album, the Chad Mitchell Trio album, John Denver was a member late in their career and early in his.  Some of the other people I listened to, and have albums by, are Gordon Lightfoot, Gale Garnett, Judy Collins, Joe and Eddie, Dave Von Ronk.  I doubt any of my albums are worth any money, most are pretty worn, but I'm still hanging on to them.  If you want to listen to a good Folk Album, played on the 'Record Player', come on over.

2 comments:

Judith Bowman said...

Those are some great albums there, BB.

Judith Bowman said...

Riding the MTA (Kingston Trio), Blowin' In the Wind (PP&M - saw them in concert), Sloop John B (Kingston Trio), A Rollin' Stone (?) (Bob Dylan), Long Black Veil (Joan Baez)

Hadn't thought of those in a long time. I need to get that music back on - it really was great!