Sunday, May 5, 2013

Derby Party, Great Fun!

Brian and Julie had their first Derby Party yesterday.  It was great fun and everybody had a good time.  We had a new jackpot scheme going.  Besides the draw a horse jackpot, we had a jackpot where you pick the horse you like, and if your horse wins, you get the jackpot.  If more than one person picked the horse, you split the pot.  Of course, the favored horses usually had more than one person take them, and the longer shots didn't.  It worked well.


Here, Julie Hedges writes down her selection.  You could enter as many times as you want, for $1 a pick.  Our drawing jackpots were for 50 cents.  Many of the races had short fields, so we had to double-up on the drawing jackpots.
I did pretty good on the pots all day, ending up about $17 ahead!  That's pretty good!







Of course, Derby Festivities must have Derby Princesses.  I don't like to brag, but I think this is one of the best pictures I've ever taken.  And I've taken a lot a pictures.
Erin and Jill, with their dolls Kunani and Rose, and all in homemade hats!  I think Erin and Jilly came out a little ahead on their jackpots, too.  Of course, Grampy started them out $5 ahead.









And, of course, we had the old 'dice game'!  That one cost me a few dollars, but is always fun to play.
Brian and Julie had a great party. I hope it's the beginning of a long Derby tradition.
I hope you blog followers followed my advice and bet on Orb.  Normally, I'd shy away from favorites preferring to try and beat them with a horse that will pay a little money.  But, this favorite went off at over 6 - 1, which is a heck of a price for a favorite.  I can't believe Golden Soul came in second.  There's always a horse that comes in under the radar that will make those exotic bets pay a big price.  The trick is, trying to figure out which one it will be.
We enjoyed having Julie, Jit, Susie and Tori down for the weekend.  The weather was terrible for Derby Day, and I'm sure it dampened the spirits of many of those out at the track.  But, even though we had to spend a little more time in the house than would be normal for a Derby party, it didn't hurt B and J's Derby party at all.

No comments: