Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Visit to the Flaget Museum at St Xavier High School

I visited the Flaget Museum for the first time today.  I took a few pictures, some of which I'll post here on the blog.  It was very interesting. Yep, my picture does appear several times in the Museum.  It was nice to see all the old memorabilia. I took a picture of the baseball team Photo, but it was blurry so I won't post it.  Here are some of my photos:





Yep, I was runner-up as most talented in our Senior Class, here's the proof!  I was probably 3rd in most of the others.  You can also see that my best friend, Dub Jansing was voted Most Likely to Succeed, and was 2nd in the Best Student Category.













I had to take a picture of this trophy.  The Ryken Trophy was awarded to the winner of the Flaget-St Xavier Game every year.  I noted my Senior year game, 1963, in which we won 7 - 0.















I didn't have the money to afford a Senior Ring, so I never had one of those.  I did have one of the cheap rings I circled, but I have no idea what happened to it. I was able to get that only because I sold enough chances in the One of those items I left at home when I went into the Navy.  No doubt Joe acquired it until he lost it.





 

This is a program from my Junior year playing DeSales High School.  One of my best friends played for them. I was looking through his year book several years ago and it has a picture of our Senior year game and we were playing the End position opposite each other.  There was an action picture from the game and he had his arm wrapped around my leg blocking me.  Notice I was a strapping 5'9"" and 145 pounds!  I wasn't always this heavy.






This was the Varsity Team picture from my Freshman year. Note my jersey number. The tackle position usually wear numbers in the 70's, and I wasn't a tackle.  But I was a Freshman and  as such we were given what ever jersey's were left over.  There weren't that many Freshmen that made the Varsity Team Picture.








This was my Junior year Team Picture. I was a fullback at that time.  I've posted a picture of my Senior year football team before, so no need to post it now, but in my Senior year I was an End and wore #83.





The Museum tour was fun.  I was in the room by myself and took my time looking through all the old stuff.  The had binders of a lot of the old School Papers, the "Landmark".  Binders of old newspaper clippings, Football programs, scoring books from basketball games. During the day, Flaget High School was one of the 'Big Four' Schools in Louisville, the other three being St Xavier, Manual, and Male.  Today, St X and Trinity game is the big game in Louisville.  Back in my High School era the two big games were Flaget - St X, and Male - Manual.  Male Manual played for years on Thanksgiving Day, a real tradition. My how time marches on.......

4 comments:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Let me be the one to ask...what was your talent that impressed everyone so???

Bad Bob said...

I can't believe we've been married for over 44 years and you don't know what my talent is. It only took my classmates 4 years to find out.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I confess...I'm completely in the dark.

Erik Vega said...

I have a question my Grandmother form one of the rings you circles and its was my great grandfather collection. He was trying to locate the owner when he was alive. He past 20 years ago. I know its not his for the fact that he did not go high school in the United states.
What year were those rings?