Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I'm a Quitter

I played Shawnee today.  My big plan was to walk the front nine and ride the back nine.  It was a hot day, so walking the entire 18 was out of the question.  It was a little hotter than I thought it would be.  When I got to the 2nd tee I'd wished I'd rented a cart for the whole 18.  I was really hitting the ball well, and not putting bad, even though the putting cost me dearly for the nine holes. 
Anyway, I was completely exhausted after 9 holes and on about the 7th hole I decided to quit after 9.  I was so tired I didn't even want to try to ride the back nine.  I needed to get in out of the heat, relax, drink water, and get my energy level back up.  I haven't been this run down since I was in Pittsburgh.
But, I'm home now, hydrated, cooled down, relaxed, and glad I made the decision to just play 9 holes.  I hated to quit, but I feel it was a wise decision.  The only problem was, I was really playing well.  I missed two short putts, ones you know you should make, but I still shot a 37.  I had a par on every hole except the two holes I missed a short putt for bogey.  I'll play again this Thursday, but I'll ride from the outset.  It's supposed to be a little cooler, too.  At least now I know not to even try to walk at all on the hot days.

Now, to report on a round I haven't blogged about yet.  Round 25 for the year.  I played Kearney Hills GC in Lexington this past Friday.  It's a Links style course, very nice.  About 10 years ago it was a Senior Tour Stop.  The day was a rainy one, drizzle most of the day with periods of steady rain.  We managed to get the 18 holes in.  I played well there, too.  I birdied 3 of the 4 par 3's.  I ended up shooting 40 - 44 = 84.  I gave Greg Lynn 2 strokes a side and ended up beating him both sides and the 18 when he shot a 96.

I can't count my half round today in my rounds for the year.  so I'm still coming up on round 26.  Hopefully, this Thursday will allow me to get that one in. 

1 comment:

Mark said...

I am very glad you didn't push yourself any farther!