Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Trying to get back into the routine of Civilian Life.....


Several months ago, back in November, I stopped by Veterans Hospital to apply for a Veterans ID.  I've never used Veterans Hospital or their services before, but because I am eligible I thought it would be a good idea to get an ID card and be registered with them in case I ever wanted to take advantage of their services.  Plus, just having an ID card that identifies me as a veteran I thought may come in handy as my plans are to buried, when the time comes, in Zachary Taylor National Cemetery.  Well, the procedure has opened up a whole can of worms. 
First of all, my discharge papers, known affectionately by all Veterans as a DD-214, does not list several of the medals I'd received. I've always known this but didn't really care.  I'm sure this was caused by the fact that my last year in the military, my year in Vietnam, was spent in a Joint Service Outfit, detached from the U. S. Navy.  Therefore, the records keeping wasn't done very well.  Then, when I was discharged in Memphis, TN, I didn't bother to check my discharge papers to see that everything was in order.  I was just happy to get the heck out of there and get home to see my lovely bride I'd been away from for a year.  So these problems with my records are now starting to show up.  But my Veterans ID I received has me listed as a different 'priority' than I should be as a Purple Heart Recipient.  Therein lies the rub.  So, I've submitted forms to get my 'DD-214' altered to have my medals listed.  How this will turn out, we may never know.  I submitted a form back in November and haven't heard anything.  I re-submitted a week ago, I think this was a different form, and am waiting to hear about that.
My hopes of getting anything done is not very high.  I mean, just two days ago I received a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs thanking me for my service and hoping my transition back into Civilian Life goes smoothly.  So, I'm not real sure they are on top of the situation.
The big problem is, the DD-214 (Department of Defense form 214), is my official record of my military career.  And, even though I have the medal, the certificate,  the letter of presentation, pictures of Colonel McCorkle pinning the medal on me while in Vietnam, and a copy of the message sent to our headquarters in Saigon informing them that my next of kin NOT be notified of my injury as a result of hostile fire, the U. S. Navy doesn't seem to think that I officially have a Purple Heart. So, the Saga continues.....

2 comments:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

When he told me he'd just received a letter "hoping that his transition into civilian life goes smoothing," it was a laugh out loud moment. Don't know why you feel they're not on top of things????

Mark said...

I'm so glad to have you home!