Saturday, November 15, 2008

Part of a round...

I played Shawnee GC yesterday. I played with J.R. Harris and beat him by 2 strokes. If you know J.R., you know I played bad. We only played 14 holes. We went their with the intention of playing the front 9 and 3 holes on the back, just to get some golf in and some excercise. Rain was forecast to start mid-afternoon. On the first tee we got behind a group of 4 guys who made us look like teenagers. The youngest looked to be mid-70's, he walked carrying his bag, the others looked to be mid-80's, one pulling a cart the the other 2 riding. They were as slow as any group I've ever played behind. I love to see old guys out playing, but I sure don't like being behind them when they play that slow. They moved slow, took 4 or 5 practice swings before each shot, and I don't think "gimme" was in their vocabulary. We knew we were in trouble when waiting in the fairway on the first hole for 10 minutes while they putted out, 1 guy stayed behind when the other 3 left the green to practice his putting. He evidently missed a 5 foot putt and kept trying to make it 5 or 6 times. He never did.
Anyway, we abandoned our plans to play the front 9 and skipped holes 4&5 to get around the old geezers. When we got to the 10th hole, it was backed up, too. So, we skipped over to #12 and played the back nine from there. So we missed 4-5-10-11. I shot a 68! I can shoot good scores if I just don't play so many holes!

No comments: