Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Working at the Zoo

I've been working as a Docent at the Louisville Zoo for 2 years now, but I've also been working in the front office for awhile, which doesn't count as Docent hours.  As a Docent, I'm required to put in 48 hours a year, which hasn't been hard to do.  In the 2 years I'm just now passing the 500 hour mark......so the required hours  for a Docent haven't been a problem.  So, the hours I work in the front office are above and beyond Docent hours.
I'd say I work 2-6 hours a week up front.  Lately, I've been transcribing a log book of all animal that come in to the Zoo.  The old log book, you can see a piece of it in the upper left hand corner, is very old and contains less the half the information the new log book will have.  My job is to pull each animal's ID number up on the computer and log all the information.  That is, ID number, Sex, Common Name, Scientific Name, House Name, How we came by it, From Who, The Date, and where the animal is now.  Hand-written.  Yes, this info is on the computer, but the log book will be for any Keeper to be able to drop in, look the animal up by ID number, find out all they need to know about it in a speedy manner.
Now, writing all this out by hand is very slow.  Especially when you have to 'wait' on the computer.  Each bit of information requires me to click on different sections of the web-page and wait for it to come up.  I average hand printing about 1 page an hour.  My usual time there is 2 hours, so I finish about 2 pages each time I work.
I usually start about 9:30am and work til 11:30.  The computer is pretty fast when I first start, but slows over the period I work.  So, I get almost twice as much done the first hour as I do the second hour.  You can see from the picture that it's a lot of writing.
Now, I've been working on 'Mammals'.  I'm up to 1993.  Only 20 more years to go!  Then, I'll have to do Birds, Reptiles, and Fish.  Talk about Job Security!

No comments: