Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Problem with Playing Good Golf

Anyone who plays golf knows the problem with playing good golf.  It never keeps up.  The same with playing bad, you know eventually it will change.  So, my good golfing changed today.  After several rounds breaking 80, today I shot a 43 - 42 = 85.  Not a terrible score, but not what I've been scoring. 
I hit a lot of really good shots today.  The problem was, I hit way too many 'terrible' shots.  I topped a tee shot, hit a couple way left.  Got myself into trouble.  But, on several holes that I got into trouble, I was able to make a really good shot to bogey the hole.
I can't say I'm upset about playing bad.  My handicap has really dropped and if I expect to win any money now, I'll need to get that handicap up a little.  It's now 9 at Shawnee and 7 at Iroquois.  I mean, '7' handicap?  That means I'd have to shoot a 76 in order to net below 70, which it takes to win low man on Thursdays.  Usually, it takes around a net 66 to win low man.  That means I'd have to shoot a 73.  Which would only be 2 strokes lower than I've ever shot in my life.  Not likely. 
So, while I have this low handicap, I can't complain about shooting high scores.  It can only help in the long run.  Now don't get the wrong idea.  I'm not one who would shoot high scores just to raise my handicap.  I try to play well.  It's just that when I don't play well, I take consolation in the fact that at least it'll raise my handicap!

No comments: