Friday, January 4, 2013

Docent Training

I haven't had a post for awhile, so I thought I'd better get something down or my regulars will quit checking my blog.  The problem is that I can't download pictures from my camera, and I haven't been able to get out on the golf course.  So, new entries have been slowed down.
Today I had several classes at the Zoo, one 2 hour class in the morning and one 2 hours class in the afternoon.  Both of them were very interesting.

In the morning class the educators at the Zoo instructed the Docents on what is expected of them when they volunteer for School at the Zoo (SAZ).  This is a program the Zoo has where schools send a whole class to the Zoo to have one full week of school.  During this week they're taught about Animal Classification, Rain Forests, Deserts, Eco-systems, etc.  Each educator, (4), will have their own class, usually around 25-30 students, and will have 2 Docent helpers each day.  During the course many fun exercises are done.  During the classes today they brought us up to date so we would be familiar with the exercises and be able to better help out.  Also, they went over the best way for us to help, what their expectations are of us, and what material would be covered on which day of the week.  All in all, interesting and helpful for them and us Docents!

In the afternoon, we had a continuing education class on Primates.  That was an interesting class, but the most interesting thing was that we got to go on a 'behind the scenes' tour of the Gorilla Exhibit.  While watched the gorilla's from out front is nice, you can't hear them because of the thick glass between you and the gorilla's.  Behind the scenes, just the wire screen separates you.  They purr and sometimes have a low, continuous growl.  We had a nice talk from the Keeper at that exhibit, Michele, heard about the daily routine of taking care of 10 gorilla's in 3 family groups.  We had to walk through a sanitizer pad, and wear surgical masks while in there.  Gorilla's a very susceptible to human germs.  Two the the Docents had to stay out because they currently had Colds.

Sorry I can't post pictures.  Doing this blog I found out I can't post ANY pictures.  I'm going to have to get a new computer and learn how to use it.  So, it may be a few weeks before my blogging becomes regular again.

No comments: