Thursday, November 15, 2012

2 Rounds of Golf to Report

I played at Champions Pointe GC this past Saturday.  I've played it once before.  I played strict rules of golf, and I shot a 49 - 47 = 96.  Not so good.  I really hit the ball well off the tee.  The only problem was, they only averaged about 170 yard drives.  Man, on a par 4, 340 yard hole, a 170 yard drive leaves you, oh, let's see, about 170 yards to the green! If my drives go 170 yards, what's the odds of carrying that bunker in front of the green from 170 yards?  Not too good.  I hit into a lot of bunkers.  Got out of them pretty well.  I putted OK, but they didn't drop.  It seemed like a lot of my shots to the green were 'almost' good.  If I'd have carried it another 2 feet, or if it had been 2 yards further to the right.  So, all in all, the 96 wasn't that bad.  I was disappointed with the score, but it was mostly the length of my shots that killed me.  That was round 52 for the year.

Today I played my usual Thursday round at Iroquois GC.  Back to the ol' improved lies, gimme putts.  I shot a 45 - 38 = 83.  Putted well, but hit a lot of 'fat' fairway shots that wasted a lot of good drives.  This time of year the fairways have died out and the ball just doesn't sit up like it does in the summer.  I've never hit the ball well off 'tight' lies.  I've always been a 'sweep' hitter, not a 'dig it out' hit down on the ball hitter.  So I think that has a lot to do with it.  And, I think I've lost a lot of distance because I just don't get as loose as I do in warmer weather.  I mean, I've never hit the ball very far, and losing a little distance really makes a difference.
I found out our team won low team last Thursday, so I got $7 today for that.  I waited around today for several other teams to get in and we lost to the 3rd team in, so I left.  We averaged almost 3 strokes better than last week, but couldn't win.  You just never know what score will be low.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you won't change it now, but I always felt you lose most of your distance because you are a "sweep the ball" type of swinger. I feel like you can generate enough club head speed to hit it far enough, but by sweeping the ball (due to finishing on your back foot) you don't compress it fully, therefore limiting your spin and ball flight potential. That will be $50. Thanks and tell your friends.

-Brian