Sunday, December 26, 2010

Bob - The Navy years, Chapter 11

Welcome to Vietnam

My worst fears were realized.  I didn't even get Sea Duty in the Pacific.  Shore Duty in Vietnam.  My orders came through to report on Oct 8th to DCA-SAM, Saigon, Vietnam.  Which was Defense  Communication Agency, Southeast Asia Mainlaind.  This was a Joint Service Group, positions filled by the Marines, Army, Air Force, and Navy. All branches of the Service supplied people for this Outfit.  OK, I'll find out what all that means when I get over there.
Meanwhile, Mary Lynn and I packed up and headed back to Kentucky for 2 weeks Leave.

We packed up that 'white' car, trunk and backseat full of everything we owned and headed East.  This time, instead of taking Route 66, we took the northern route to see different sites. Up through Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, Reno, Carson City then stopping our first night in Idaho Falls, Idaho.  Then on to Yellowstone Park to visit Yogi Bear.  Then we started working down to a more southern route down through Nebraska and Kansas City over to St. Louis.  Remember, this was before Interstates, so looking at a road map now it's hard to remember all the back highways we drove.
IDAHO FALLS

 YELLOWSTONE GEYSERS
Mary Lynn kept saying "Get closer to the bears so I can get your picture". No thanks, this is as close as I want to get.  I think she was really looking to draw that Military Widows pension. There were a LOT  of bears, not just the one in the picture. I was watching several on the other side of the road.

We made it back to Louisville in one piece.  And spent two wonderful weeks visiting with family and friends.  We stayed at both our parents' houses on different nights, and it was soon time to say good-bye.

The morning of October 8th, 1967, we kissed good-bye at the Airport, I boarded a plane, and headed west to Travis Air Force Base, Oakland, California.  Debarking point for Vietnam.

Mary Lynn and I had $13 between us.  I took all the money with me.  Our whole life savings.  She was going to stay with her parents for the year, and I was going to travel half way round the world.  We thought I needed the $13 more than she did.  It was a sad day for a newly-wed couple, only married 6 months.  Sitting on that plane. looking at Mary Lynn in the terminal window, facing the real possibility that I may never see her again.......I was feeling about as low as a person can feel.

Arriving in Vietnam Next............To be continued.

1 comment:

Judith Bowman said...

Were there other servicemen on the plane - or was it a regular flight? Can't imagine what it was like for both of you!