Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"The Sudden Appearance of 188 Pennies"


Kinda sounds like a Sherlock Holmes Story Title doesn't it? I went metal detecting yesterday around 10:00 a.m. Mary Lynn went to the grocery and to do a little shopping. When I got home around 12:30 I found these pennies and a small chain in the driveway. They weren't there when I left because I came out through the gate with my metal detector and box of tools. So, they appeared during those couple of hours I was gone. I asked Patti, who does the yard work for most of the houses around us if she knew anything about it. Nothing. When our next door neighbor, Marie, got home about an hour later, She knew nothing about it. When Mary Lynn got home, she knew nothing about it. Hmmmm. A mystery. They were there as shown in the picture. Not dropped from very high, or the pennies would have rolled in a bigger area. But seemingly spilled out of something. No broken glass as if dropped in a jar. So I picked them up and counted them. 188 pennies and a chain. One of the pennies was a 1951 wheat penny. Patti suggested that it may be a bribe from the squirrels. Mary Lynn says that maybe the Thanksgiving Turkey lays pennies around like the Easter Bunny does with the eggs. I like both of these theories, but I don't think Sherlock would taken either one as a solution. So, for now, it remains the mystery of the 188 pennies.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I have another theory, which I think is the most likely explanation: It was a ghost. This is exactly the sort of thing that ghosts do. Here's a good question, though...do you try to get rid of the ghost, or should you keep a ghost that is dropping money on your driveway?

Another idea I had: if you look closely at your photo, you can see some guy, right behind the pennies. I wonder if he put them there? It looks like he's watching them, so maybe he using them for some kind of experiment or project.

Mark said...

Seriously, though, that's pretty weird.