Friday, December 12, 2008

SQUIRREL WARS




The squirrels and I have been at war for several years. They have me outnumbered but my army is better equipped than theirs. I have managed to squirrel proof my bird feeder, but they hang around on the ground looking for seeds the birds throw down. They're a pest, digging holes in my yard, digging up flowers out of flower pots, and getting to my ripe tomatoes before I do. Therefore, we are at WAR. I trap them and move them to a new location. I've moved them as far away as Frankfort. I have made Hoosiers out of about a dozen. I take them to anyplace I happen to be going that day. If no trips are planned, I take them to the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary on Lexington Road and make Baptist's out of them.


I would guess that in the time we've been at war I've relocated more than 50 squirrels. I used to paint their tails red so I would know if the same ones came back. I've never seen a repeat, and I ran out of spray paint so I don't paint them any longer. I just assume they don't come back now. Meanwhile, the war wages on.......

1 comment:

Brian said...

I assume you are complying with the Geneva Convention while holding these rodents? I don't want to see pictures surface in the media of the squirrels stripped naked with leashes around their necks being forced into a rodent pyramid.