Friday, March 1, 2013

Really?

When I was a lad Downtown Louisville was the hub of all business.  If you needed clothes, glasses, jewely,see a movie, or just about anything else, you went Downtown!
In the late 1960's, this changed.  Why?  The invention of the "Mall".  Wow!  You could get those things in the area of your own neighborhood, with plenty of free parking and all the store variety you could imagine.
Since that time, Downtown has been trying to get the people to come back.  Every Mayor has promoted how great it is Downtown, pouring millions of tax dollars in building up things Downtown to attract people to come back. They feel that's their job.  Hasn't worked.  They built the Kentucky Internationl Convention Center KICC, to attract visitors and conventions.  Hasn't worked.  Lost millions.  They built the KFC Arena.  This will attract people, concerts, etc.  Sure, it's worked some, but the KFC is losing millions annually. Now, the people in charge want to spend 150 million $ improving the KICC so that we won't be losing millions  .  Why do I think this is a bad idea?
Why does Louisville, to be successful, have to have a vibrant Downtown?  Can't things be just as exciting to attend away from the Downtown area and attract people from around the State and around the  Country.  I mean, we have the Kentucky Derby.  It does pretty good, and it's not located Downtown.
Oh well, just my thoughts!

1 comment:

Judith Bowman said...

Hi Bad Bob - I don't have a comment for your Downtown post (except that now I can't get Petula Clark's song out of my head...) I just bookmarked your blog on my new computer and I'm back to being a commenting fan of yours.